- This event has passed.
2023-2024 Emerging Leaders Council Application
August 1 @ 12:00 am - August 31 @ 12:00 pm
2023-2024 Emerging Leaders Council Application
Don’t miss out on this enriching opportunity! The application is now closed.
The National Council of Urban Indian Health (NCUIH) is seeking passionate and motivated American Indian and Alaska Native young adults living in urban communities and off reservations for our 2023-2024 Emerging Leaders Council Cohort! Being a member of the Emerging Leaders Council is an enriching opportunity to promote peer-level awareness and support for youth and young adult AI/ANs living in urban areas.
The NCUIH Emerging Leaders Council leads efforts that empower AI/AN youth and young adults to address health and wellness issues including but not limited to substance misuse, trauma, suicide, and other mental health challenges among Native youth. Through their hard work, members hone skills in advocacy, public speaking, project management, and professional development.
Don’t miss out on this valuable chance to receive training and hands-on experience alongside your peers! The deadline to apply is August 31st, 2023.
Benefits of The Emerging Leaders Council
Emerging Leaders Council members will receive training and hands-on experience in three broad areas:
- Mentorship Opportunities
- Meeting UIO healthcare executives
- Shadowing NCUIH staff and learning about AI/AN advocacy
- Conversing with health care professionals
- Public Health Practices and Behavior Health Experience
- Creating a project for the peer-level health and wellness project focused on but not limited to prevention of suicide, substance abuse, and mental health challenges.
- Advocating for improved culturally competent AI/AN health care
- Leadership Skills Building and Personal Growth
- Developing advocacy policy skills
- Building leadership and professional development skills
- Improving self-care and wellness, while strengthening team-building skills
The application is now closed.
The PDF documents shown are only to ascertain information needed within the application, please fill out the application links for your form to be completed.
Emerging Leaders Council Selection Criteria
- American Indian/Alaska Native living in Urban Communities and off-reservation
- Between ages 18-24
- Ability to engage in a 12-month commitment with NCUIH beginning September 20th, 2023, and ending on September 13th, 2024.
- Must have a desire and willingness to grow by serving as a young leader representing urban communities.
- Complete Emerging Leaders Council application, obtain one (1) mandatory reference and submit by August 31, 2023, at 12:00PM EDT (Noon). The reference must come from an individual 18+ who can confidently speak to your character. This includes but is not limited to a mentor, professor/teacher, supervisor, peer/work colleague, advisor.
Time Commitment & Participation
NCUIH expects that young adults selected for the National Emerging Leaders Council will commit to a 12-month term beginning Monday, September 20th, 2023, and ending September 13th, 2024. All activity expenses will be paid by NCUIH, a modest stipend will be provided. There will be no costs associated with membership in the NCUIH National Emerging Leaders Council.
- Attend a 3-day in-person Emerging Leaders Council Orientation Training Dates: October 26th– 29th in Washington, DC (May be virtual pending COVID-19 Status)
- Attend NCUIH’s 2024 Annual Conference Dates: TBD in late Spring/early Summer (May be virtual pending COVID-19 Status)
- Attend UNITY’s 2024 Annual Conference Dates: TBD in late Spring/early Summer in Portland, OR (May be virtual pending COVID-19 Status)
- Attend a virtual Mental Health First Aid Training Friday November 17th, 2023.
- Attend monthly virtual check-in meetings between September 20th, 2023 – September 13th, 2024
- Emerging Leaders Council General Meeting Participation: Estimated 3-4 hours monthly (1.5 hours monthly meeting + 2.5 hours working time)
Out-of-state travel for In-Person training, UNITY’s Annual Conference, and NCUIH’s Annual Conference may be required for Emerging Leaders Council members who are not located in Washington DC (pending COVID-19 Status). Out-of-state travel will be required for Emerging Leaders Council members who are not located in Washington DC or Portland OR.
Computer or Laptop Access
Emerging Leaders Council meetings will occur virtually with all 6 members and NCUIH staff starting monthly on September 20th, 2023 – September 13th, 2024. Calls will last approximately 1.5-2 hours and will be facilitated through Zoom software.
Notification of Acceptance
Emerging Leaders Council members will be notified of their selection to the NCUIH Urban Indian Emerging Leaders Council by Tuesday, September 15th, 2023.
For past Communities of Learning, trainings, webinars, and resources, please visit our Community of Learning page.