- This event has passed.
Episode 2 – Art & Advocacy: Making Your Own Waves
July 20, 2022 @ 6:30 pm - 7:45 pm
July 20, 2022 | 6:30 p.m. EST – 7:45 p.m. EST
RejuveNation: Building Resilience in Urban Native Youth Summer Series
NCUIH’s Rivers of Rejuvenation (ROR) Youth Council (YC) is taking action to address Native Youth visibility, mental health/substance abuse challenges, and environmental issues impacting youth wellness. Through their “RejuveNation: Building Resilience in Urban Native Youth” YouTube Summer Series, ROR members will share stories of hope, advocacy through art, and tips on creating healing environments. This three-episode series will include topics such as: 1) Finding and Building Community, 2) Art and Advocacy and 3) Environmental and Mental Resilience as an Urban Native Youth. Special Guests include Maya Rose Dittloff (ǔkkayǔ”kwīyinnimǎakii/Many Pipes Woman) is Mandan, Hidatsa, and Amskapi Pikuni (Blackfeet) whom is a renowned writer, director, and producer (Iron Dog, Dark Winds, and American Prophet). Jeanette Acosta is a permaculture specialist, certified permaculture teacher and designer with extensive experience in herbology, ethnobotany, nutrition, yoga/meditation. Composer and Keyboardist for Emmy and Grammy nominated TV series/album. Please join us as we celebrate each episode with a launch party and your opportunity to win amazing Native swag!
- How to use art and advocacy as a tool for empowerment through creative expression, finding non-traditional ways to create art (not just drawing/painting, could be music, writing, dance)
- Addressing the power of native visibility in the media and how it affects our perspective regarding mental health. Explain different types of advocacies and what advocacy means to us
- How to use artistic tools and examples of powerful art that create change in the past and present?
Rivers of Rejuvenation Youth Council Members and Headliner Guest Interviewee:
- Elena Yellow Bird (Arikara from the Three Affiliated Tribes), Sioux Falls, SD
- Jayson Fisher (Northern Cheyenne), Billings, MT
- MarLynn Cloud (Member of the Crow Tribe), Billings, MT
Special Guest Interviewee:
- Maya Rose Dittloff (ǔkkayǔ”kwīyinnimǎakii/Many Pipes Woman) is Mandan, Hidatsa, and Amskapi Pikuni (Blackfeet), Renowned writer, director, and producer (Iron Dog, Dark Winds, and American Prophet).
- Center for Native American Youth
- SAMHSA Native Connections Grant
Native AI/AN Youth & Young Adults, Native Youth Serving Organizations, Urban Indian Organizations and Tribal and National Partners
For past Communities of Learning, trainings, webinars, and resources, please visit our Community of Learning page.