Attention AI/AN Youth! 2022-2023 Youth Advisory Council Application Opens on July 26th
Don’t miss out on this enriching opportunity! The deadline to apply is September 9th!
The National Council of Urban Indian Health (NCUIH) is seeking passionate and motivated AI/AN youth living in urban communities and off reservations for our 2022-2023 Youth Advisory Council Cohort! Being a member of the Youth Council is an enriching opportunity to promote peer-level awareness and support for youth and young adult AI/ANs living in urban areas.
The NCUIH Youth Council leads efforts that empower AI/AN youth and young adults to address substance misuse, trauma, suicide, and other mental health challenges among Native youth. Through their hard work, members hone skills in advocacy, public speaking, project management, and professional development.
Don’t miss out on this valuable chance to receive training and hands-on experience alongside your peers! The deadline to apply is September 9th, 2022.
Benefits of Youth Council Membership
Youth Council members will receive training and hands-on experience in three broad areas:
- Mentorship Opportunities
- Meeting UIO healthcare executives
- Shadowing NCUIH staff and learning about AI/AN advocacy
- Conversing with health care professionals
- Public Health Practices and Behavior Health Experience
- Creating a project for the peer-level prevention of suicide, substance abuse, and mental health challenges
- Advocating for improved culturally competent AI/AN health care
- Leadership Skills Building and Personal Growth
- Developing advocacy policy skills
- Building leadership and professional development skills
- Improving self-care and wellness, while strengthening team-building skills
Youth Council Selection Criteria
- American Indian/Alaska Native living in Urban Communities and off-reservation
- Between ages 18-24
- Ability to engage in a 12-month commitment with NCUIH beginning September 20th, 2022, and ending on September 6th, 2023
- Must have a desire and willingness to grow by serving as a youth leader representing urban communities.
- Complete Youth Council application, obtain one (1) mandatory reference and submit by September 9, 2022, at 12:00PM EDT (Noon). The reference must come from an individual 18+ who can confidently speak to your character. This includes but is not limited to a mentor, professor/teacher, supervisor, peer/work colleague, advisor.
Time Commitment & Participation
NCUIH expects that youth and young adults selected for the National Youth Advisory Council will commit to a 12-month term beginning Monday, September 20th, 2022, and ending September 6th, 2023. All activity expenses will be paid by NCUIH, a modest stipend will be provided. There will be no costs associated with membership in the NCUIH National Youth Advisory Council.
- Attend a 2-day, virtual Youth Council Orientation in early October 2022
- Attend a 3-day in-person Youth Advisory Council Training Dates: TBD in Washington, DC (May be virtual pending COVID-19 Status)
- Attend NCUIH’s 2023 Annual Conference Dates: TBD in late Spring/early Summer (May be virtual pending COVID-19 Status)
- Attend monthly virtual check-in meetings between September 20th, 2022 – September 6th, 2023
- Youth Council General Meeting Participation: Estimated 3-4 hours monthly (1.5 hours monthly meeting + 2.5 hours working time)
Out-of-state travel for In-Person training and NCUIH’s Annual Conference may be required for Youth Council members who are not located in Washington DC (pending COVID-19 restrictions). Out-of-state travel will be required for Youth Council members who are not located in Washington DC.
Computer or Laptop Access
Youth Council meetings will occur virtually with all 5 members and NCUIH staff starting monthly on September 20th, 2022 – September 6th, 2023. Calls will last approximately 1.5-2 hours and will be facilitated through Zoom software. (Alternatively, participation can occur via cell phone as well).
Notification of Acceptance
Youth Council members will be notified of their selection to the NCUIH Urban Indian Youth and Young Adult Advisory Council by Tuesday, September 20th, 2022.